The invention of automotive air-conditioners has transformed the vehicle cabins from oven conditions to comfortable ones during the traveling in hot seasons.
Vapor-compression systems are still the most widely used type of automotive cooling systems despite their high energy consumption and negative environmental effects.
Conventional compressors are powered by an engine’s belt drive.
However, Electric vehicles do not have belt-driven engines, therefore a different kind of compressor is required.
- If the A/C fails in a ‘normal’ car, you can still drive and simply open a window.
- But if the A/C fails in an electric vehicle, the car will not run, as it’s a safety risk, the battery will get too hot.
The air compressor is the heart of an A/C system.
- Without one, you’re left with simple blowing fans that do nothing more than suck the outside air and its atmospheric temperatures into your vehicle.
- The air compressor itself is powered by the serpentine belt. If the belt snaps, the A/C system won’t function, but neither will the car itself.
- But the electric compressor operates independently of the engine.
- The compressor is always driven by the electric motor, so when the hybrid or electric engine isn’t on, the eCompressor can still operate.
- This offers a significant advantage over traditionally fuelled vehicles as it maintains a cool temperature in the cabin.
But it is unfortunate that the OEM air conditioner does not last forever. It stops working after a certain period. Especially, the compressors of our air conditioners get damaged.
Signs of an ailing compressor include strange noises, fluid leaks,(not in e-compressors) and inconsistent operability.
It is not an easy job to find a great AC compressor from the market as there is a bunch of low-quality manufacturers out there.
Best Car AC Compressor Choices:
Our list, however, includes UAC CO 4918AC, ACDelco 15-20941, UAC CO 10736C, New AC Compressor Kit, RYC AC Compressor and Clutch, Delphi CS0120, BuyAutoParts 60-80319RK, Universal AC Kit 4037, Denso 471-1407, and Delphi CS20010.YOU can choose one from your local auto parts dealer.